Take Data-Driven Actions with Your Reports
How To Access and Use The Data
To access your product’s performance data, navigate and click Reports on the left navbar on the Seller Portal to be redirected to the reports page. On the Request a Report section:
- Open the Report Type dropdown and select Product Sales.
- Select the date range you want to pull a report for.
- Select the delimiter (the character to separate data in a CSV file) or leave it as Comma.
- Click Request Report and wait for your Product Sales report to download.
The Product Sales report contains the essential data on the seller’s product’s page views, sales and conversion rate. We recommend using this data when planning your promotional strategy. Click here to learn more about reports, CSV conversions and how to export them from the Seller Portal.
Applying Custom Sort to Your Report Results
Please note that some steps may vary depending on the version of Excel available on your device.
- Open the Product Sales Report and convert the data to a readable format. Click here to learn how to convert the data into a readable format.
- Save the file in Excel (.xlsx) format by clicking on File, then select Save As and select the Excel format.
- In the sheet, delete the second row to ensure you only have one header row. Column names such as TSIN, SKU etc. should be visible in the first row, followed by actual data in rows two onwards.
- Select Column F (Page Views) and Column G (Conversion) and set them to number.
- You can now add a Filter to your sheet to create different views.
Analysing Promotional Levers
What are the Promotional Levers Available?
- Quadrant 1: High Pageviews & Low Conversion
This quadrant displays a listing with many hits and low conversions. Possible issues could be the product’s review/rating, the product’s description, or the product’s price needs to be clarified.
Analyse Your Product’s Performance with Excel’s Filter after a Promotional Campaign
You can use the filter on Excel to display and review your product’s performance after a promotional campaign on takealot.com. Toggle the Page Views filter, select the Above Average or Top 10 filter options, and see top-performing products with an above-average set of page views.
We recommend reviewing the list to identify the following actions you will take.
To improve the quality of the product’s performance, on takealot.com, we recommend sellers do the following:
- Review the overall quality of their product display page.
- Review customer feedback to understand and identify areas of improvement in their product’s development and performance on takealot.com.
- Review customer return reasons to understand and identify the issues enabling poor product performance on takealot.com.
- Remember, products in a Disabled or Not Buyable Status will have lower conversion if they have not been Buyable during your report timeframe.
After adopting these recommendations, sellers can reapply to participate in one of Takealot’s promotions.
- Quadrant 2: High Pageviews & High Conversion
A product within this quadrant is considered a Key Valued Item (KVI). Customers are willing to purchase this item organically and promotional, which could be commercially relevant or generally high in demand. It’s best practice to get your product to participate in Promotions & Daily Deals activities should you notice a leftward shift in demand or a performance dip.
- Quadrant 3: Low Pageviews & High Conversion
Products within this quadrant are those customers require and can be found when they search for them. To boost such products, we recommend participating in Themed Promotions to improve product visibility and positively impact your sales.
- Quadrant 4: Low Pageviews & Low Conversion
You’ll find relatively new products that need more exposure in this quadrant. Participating in promotional activities and gaining exposure is crucial to enhancing the growth of your product. We recommend Sellers take advantage of Takealot’s Sponsored Product Ads feature to boost such products' to higher-visibility placements on takealot.com. To learn more about Takealot’s Sponsored Product Ads, click here.
Pro-Tip: New sellers can utilise their free Sponsored Product Ads credits worth R1,000 and significantly improve the visibility of their products on takealot.com.
Best Practices when Translating Promotional Data
- Requesting reports from the Seller Portal to analyse your product’s promotional performance is essential. We recommend first pulling two reports—One that’s for the period before the promotion/deal and a second one that’s within the date range of the promotion/deal. Then request a third report within the post-promo date range to analyse the post effects of the promotion/deal on your product’s performance.
- Analysing your reports will help determine if, for example, the reason behind poor sales after a promotional period is attributed to a poor promotion/deal offer.
- Ensure that products intending to participate in any promotional/daily deal activity meet the promotion’s requirements.